Thursday, April 23, 2009

Holy Fucking Shit

That's all that can be said about Bruce.

Awhile ago, a couple of my friends, from different social circles, asked me if I wanted to see Bruce Springsteen in April at the TD Banknorth Garden. "Ehh," I thought, "Ehh." Not because I am not a big fan of the Boss, but for three reasons. 1) I had listened to Working On A Dream, Bruce's latest offering, several times and decided that it is a lousy album (save for "My Lucky Day"). 2) Last time I saw Bruce at the Garden, it was good - not great, and by that I mean acoustically and setlist-ily. My final reason was that I would see Bruce this summer at Bonnaroo and would just save my money for beer, golf clubs, and Record Store Day.

Well, shame on me. I was in the city last night, the second night of Bruce's 2-day stint at the Garden, and I saw everybody in thier Stone Pony and I-have-been-a-fan-before-you-were-born ancient t-shirts. So I got all reflective and nostalgic and thought, "Fuck me, I should've got tickets." I soon met up with my brother to go to the Red Sox game, which was delayed, which meant we had to sit in Beer Works and drink until the game started. At about 8:15, I got a text from a friend who was there that said "Opened with Badlands." Shit, I thought. How awesome would it be to be there.

So today I looked at the setlist. Here's what it said:
Badlands
Candy’s Room
Outlaw Pete
She’s The One
Working On A Dream
Seeds
Johnny 99
Youngstown
Raise Your Hand
I Wanna Be Sedated
Spirit In The Night
For You
Waiting On A Sunny Day
The Promised Land
Jungleland
Kingdom of Days
Radio Nowhere
Lonesome Day
The Rising
Born To Run

Hard Times
Thunder Road
Land Of Hope And Dreams
So Young and In Love (with Dropkick Murphys)
American Land (with Dropkick Murphys)
Glory Days
Seven Nights To Rock


So that's cool. Only THREE songs from his latest, bad album, a cover of "I Wanna Be Sedated," plenty of gems and rarely played songs, and an appearance by the Dropkick Murphys (don't act like that wouldn't be, at the very least, fun). Now I sit here eating sushi and wishing I went to the concert and I was able to go to the Red Sox game tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment